Tymek Borowski (born 1984) is a painter, author of 3D graphics, animations, infographics, posters, digital portraits based on interviews.
He studied painting at the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw at Professor Leon Tarsewicz’s studio (graduated in 2009). Between 2008 and 2012 he co-founded a few art collectives and galleries, among them “A” Gallery, Kolonie, internet-based project Billy Gallery (2012) and an experimental design company Czosnek Studio (2012).
Tymek Borowski was awarded the VIEWS Deutsche Bank Foundation Audience Award (2013) and “Polityka” Passport Award (2016)
Apart from galleries and art institutions, he collaborates with companies, scientific institutions and NGO’s on various projects, from synthesizing and visualizing knowledge, to creating commissioned artworks. He lives in Warsaw.
I think that the artist to culture is as the inventor to technology. I see my works as cultural experiments - prototypes of various pieces of widely understood culture, ways of thinking or depicting reality.
Currently, most of my works deal with divergence between intellectual, logical categories-metaphors which we use to describe reality and the fluid, statistical, jiggling, wayward nature of the physical world.
Selected solo and group exhibitions:
- Collection #3: Part 2, Chamber Gallery, New York
- Collections, Zachęta National Gallery of Art, Warsaw
- Money to Burn, Zachęta National Gallery of Art, Warsaw
- Common Affairs, Deutsche Bank KunstHalle, Berlin
- Superprojekt, Depot Basel, Basel
- Warsaw Under Construction 7: Reconstruction Dispute, MoMA, Warsaw
- Progress and Hygiene, Zachęta National Gallery of Art, Warsaw (in collaboration with Paweł Śliwiński)
- Private Settings. Art After the Internet, MoMA, Warsaw (in collaboration with Rafał Dominik and Katarzyna Przezwańska, as Czosnek Studio)
- Eternal September, Škuc Gallery, Ljubljana (in collaboration with Paweł Sysiak)
- As You Can See. Polish Art Today, MoMA, Warsaw
- All the stories are the same, but some of them are completely different, Platán Gallery, Budapest
- Poland-Krakow Design Trip Regular Exhibition, BIAD Attic Architect Space, Beijing (in collaboration with Paweł Śliwiński)
- Warsaw Under Construction 5: Profession Architect, MoMA, Warsaw
- Views 2013 – Deutsche Bank Foundation Award, Zachęta National Gallery of Art, Warsaw - Raster Editions Billy Gallery, Galeria Raster, Warsaw
- The Polish poster, hereafter, Centro Hispanoamericano de Cultura, Hawana
- Warsaw Under Construction 4 : City for Sale , MoMA, Warsaw
- No, No, I Hardly Ever Miss a Show, Zachęta National Gallery of Art, Warsaw (in collaboration with Paweł Sysiak)